IMZ ACADEMY 2019: “RE-IMAGINING OPERA FOR THE DIGITAL AGE”
9-10 July 2019
In partnership with and at Accademia Teatro alla Scala, Milano/Italy
Adapting to the continuously growing digital realm can be a challenge for a traditional, live art form like Opera. However, it can also fuel a creative, vitalising re-imagination of the ways in which opera houses communicate + connect with their audience.
The IMZ Academy “Re-Imagining Opera for the Digital Age” looks at the opportunities + challenges offered by digital, online and social media for opera houses and is designed to help them identify and establish relevant strategies to promote and position themselves in the digital world. On the one hand, we are looking into creative ways of communicating with their audience, on the other hand, we are examining possibilities and technologies in performance capture and streaming in order to reach and engage new audiences in an innovative manner.
The course will be led by IMZ Academy Director Peter Maniura, who has more than thirty years of experience of working with renowned opera houses internationally, on a wide range of major events, live broadcasts, live streams and digital initiatives during his time at BBC Arts and BBC Music. In addition, expert speakers from the performing arts + media world will share their insights in a highly practical manner and cover artistic, as well as technical and financial challenges and examine best practice in performance capture, streaming, editorial curation and audience impact.
- Peter Maniura, IMZ Academy Director, Project Director Classical Archive and Orchestras Digital Strategy at BBC Music, provides an overview of opera + media and present specific case studies in the use of digital + social media.
- Lanfranco Li Cauli, Marketing and Fundraising Director at Teatro alla Scala Milano, elaborates on the digital marketing and audience development strategy of one of the world’s great opera houses.
- Eva Essvik, Audience and Business Developer at Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra and Mans Pär Fogelberg, Producer GSOplay at Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra present their successful approach of establishing digital channels to reach and engage new audiences.
- Kriss Russman, EMMY-nominated, multi-camera Director and Filmmaker, shares his insights on multi-camera coverage in the digital age.
- Graham Vick, Stage Director, presents his pioneering work, in using media as a creative tool in making and disseminating opera.
- To outline the range of editorial and technical knowledge which an opera house requires to promote and position itself in the digital world
- To help opera houses develop their narrative as creative organisations
- To help them identify and reach their audience
- To help define and develop their digital strategy and its active components
- To develop thinking around a range of editorial content beyond performance
- To examine best practice in performance capture and the latest technologies in capture and streaming
- Representatives of Digital and Media Development Departments of Opera Houses
- Digital Media and Event Producers
- PR, Marketing and Communication Specialists
- Editors, Video and Sound Technicians
Due to the ever evolving and developing best practice in this area, the IMZ Academy addresses the training needs of young professionals and established market-players, alike.
Benefits for participants
- Speakers from renowned organisations share their professional insights and know-how
- Practice-driven approach to learning with real-life examples and concrete challenges
- Networking opportunities with international participants from across the industry
- Meet potential co-operation partners within the IMZ Network + Accademia Teatro alla Scala Community