Screenings + dancescreen competition
Counting more than 300 submissions from filmmakers from around the globe, the competing dance films offer a comprehensive overview of the latest, international productions and represent an unparalleled diversity.
After thorough preselection by industry experts, the shortlisted films do not only enter the prestigious competition but also provide the majority of content for the screenings at the film festival, which are open to the general public.
dancescreen honours excellence in the following categories:
- Award for “Best Film”
- Award for “Best Student Film”
- Live performance relay and camera re-work
Multi-camera relay/capture of a live dance performance and adaptation of an existing choreography
- Screen choreography
Choreographic work specifically created for the screen, including experimental films and narrative fiction
o Up to 5 minutes
o Up to 15 minutes
o Over 15 minutes
Profile of artist, choreographer, dance company, choreographic process, dance history or other related subjects. English subtitles are needed if the language which is spoken is not English.
Subscribe to the IMZ Mailings to stay up to date with details on film submission for dancescreen 2019!
Together with the respective festival partner, experts from the IMZ screen + assess all submitted dance films in order to establish a preselection for the film screenings + dancescreen competition. The jury evaluates all preselected + screened films on Originality, Choreography/Dramaturgy, Technical Execution, Production Design, and Meaning + Message.
Drawing from its extensive experience and international network, the IMZ is happy that specialists in filmmaking, distribution, broadcasting + media as well as acclaimed choreographers and dancers have accepted the invitation to join dancescreen as member of the jury or expert for the pitching sessions.
The following industry representatives – among countless others - have been part of dancescreen:
- Cis Bierinckx, Beursschouwburg
- Ellen Bromberg, choreographer, filmmaker, media designer, curator and educator
- Kevin Dolan, Film London
- Arild Erikstad, NRK – Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation
- Pegah Farahmand, Channel 4
- Judy Flannery, San Francisco Dance Film Festival
- Ditte Feuk, SVT - Swedish Television
- Chris Hunt, Stanza Media Ltd
- Lynette Kessler, Dance Camera West Dance Media Festival
- Muriel Maffre, Museum of Performance + Design in San Francisco
- Wayne McGregor, Random Dance
- Jen McLachlan, balletLORONT
- Isabelle Mestre, ARTE France
- Henk van der Meulen, Royal Conservatoire of The Hague
- Denis Molière, Telmondis Distribution
- Reiner Moritz, Poorhouse International
- Michael Nunn + William Trevitt, BalletBoyz®
- Dieter Schneider, ZDF – Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen
- Alistair Spalding, Sadlers’s Wells
- Luuk van Eijk, Julidans
- Hazel Wright, Hazel Wright Media Ltd./Opera Uncorked Ltd.
- Jan Younghusband, BBC Music