IMZ Academy Workshop 2022: "Live Multi-Camera Directing in Classical Music"
26-28 April 2022, on-site in Gothenburg (Sweden)
Hosted by Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra
This IMZ Academy Workshop 2022 allowed directors, filmmakers and members of a digital + production team in orchestras or broadcast media to become a key player in the international cultural film business!
Under the tutelage of two award-winning international directors, Peter Maniura and Krišs Russman, participants learned how to capture a live concert with a multi-camera setup. Additionally, the hands-on workshop was an excellent opportunity to work with the world-class Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, using their state-of-the-art equipment and control room. Moreover, the participants received a rare opportunity to demonstrate their skills by actively participating in a concert film recording, with a fantastic repertoire ranging from traditional classical to contemporary pieces.
This course provided training for:
- directors who never worked in classical music or never recorded a concert and sought to develop those skills
- directors who had some experience in working with musicians or orchestras and wanted to expand these skills with some formal training
- single camera directors / film-makers who sought to develop multi-camera skills specifically focused on classical music
- members of digital teams in orchestras or other music organisations seeking an initial foundation in these skills
- members of digital or production teams in broadcast media who wished to expand their skill base.
The course aimed to:
- outline best practices in visualising, scripting and directing large-scale orchestral work with a multi-camera set-up using both manned and remote-control cameras
- analyse the skill set of a director and good gallery technique
- explain how to camera script, explaining the grammar and musical basis thereof – including the framing of shots, the development of sequences, musical narrative, placing of cameras etc.
- describe commonly-used camera types and lenses
- offer hands-on scripting and directing experience
- offer guidance and critique of the scripting and directing set tasks.
Thank you so much to all participants and trainers for a highly-successful course!
(c) Francis Löfvenholm
Freelance Director + Digital Strategist, IMZ Academy Director
Peter Maniura is an award-winning TV producer and director with more than twenty-five years’ experience in music + arts broadcasting at the BBC and the EBU. He is also a digital media consultant and guest lecturer. His most recent role at the BBC was Project Director, Classical Archive and Orchestras Digital Strategy for BBC Music; opening up the BBC’S unique music archive to the public in new ways. Prior to this he was Head of Digital Development for BBC Arts covering festivals, events and performances across the art forms. He was also commissioner for BBC Arts Online, which he launched in May 2014. Previously he was Creative Director and Curator of the new experimental BBC/Arts Council England digital online arts service “The Space” which launched in May 2012 promoting digital innovation and creativity in the arts.
EMMY-nominated, multi-camera Director + Filmmaker
Kriss Russman is an EMMY-nominated, Royal Television Society (RTS) award-winning documentary and multi-camera director specialising in classical music broadcasts and recordings. He has made over 30 documentaries and filmed over 100 performances of concerts, opera, ballet, theatre and jazz for the major broadcasters worldwide (including BBC, Channel 4, ZDF, ARTE, NHK, PBS, WNET, RAI, DR, SVT, Medici, Bravo). His company, Twelfth Year Digital Media (TYDM), makes documentaries and music performance recordings for international distribution. It also provides facilities and staff to broadcast live multi-camera events and advises on the installation of remote-control camera systems for the streaming of symphonic music and opera.
MÅNS PÄR FOGELBERG
Producer GSOPlay at Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra
Mans Pär Fogelberg has started his career at the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra as Audience Development Manager in 2007. In 2012 he became Producer for GSOplay, Gothenburg Symphony. In this position he has initiated Gothenburg Symphony's filmed concerts at gsoplay.com, investigated what technology should be used, set up the workflow and trained in-house staff. Mans is in charge of overseeing the whole process from planning to publishing and also acts as vision mixer/producer when live/recording and editor of video and sound in post-production. Prior to this Mans was responsible for the start of the first YouTube channel for an orchestra in January 2008 and worked as scriptwriter, editor and item producer for different TV-shows in the cultural and entertainment segment of Sweden's public service television.
Script Supervisor/ Tutor Film + Television training
Yvonne is an experienced script supervisor and production manager. She specialises in a wide range of multi-camera music, event + entertainment programmes including live broadcasts. Originally trained at the BBC, Yvonne has worked freelance for independent production companies in the UK such as The Royal Opera House and English National Opera. Music programmes include The BBC Proms, Cardiff Singer of the World, Paul McCartney in Kiev; drama such as The Railway Children and Shakespeare performances at the Donmar Warehouse; The Commonwealth Day Service at Westminster Abbey. Apart from the UK, she has worked on multi-camera productions in Mexico City, Monaco, St Petersburg, Riga, Muscat, Jordan, Chicago and Berlin. She has been a visiting tutor at the London College of Communication and also the UK National Film & Television School for over 20 years, where she is Lead Tutor of the script supervisor training course in continuity and television skills.
- IMZ Academy Editions
- 2023: Creating value through digital transformation
- 2023: AI & VR Experiences in Gaming, Theater and Performing Arts Film
- 2022: Sustainability + Classical Music TV
- 2022: Opportunities and Challenges in Creative Digital Transformation
- 2022: Meet the Streamers
- 2022: Digital content management in a decentralised online world
- 2021: Innovating the future of classical music TV
- 2021: Is anybody out there? Radical new ways to reach audiences in the Performing Arts
- 2021: IMZ Flying Academy Pilot with Higher Music Education Institutions
- 2021: Let's talk 2030
- Setting IMZ Standards on Metadata
- Setting IMZ Standards on Copyright
Deputy Secretary General