IMZ ACADEMY SESSION 2018: “Innovative technologies for the Arts”
19 February 2018
In the course of Avant Première Music + Media Market Berlin 2018, Berlin/Germany
This IMZ Academy Session took place in the course of the Special Focus "Innovation Day" at Avant Première 2018 and focused on innovative technologies in performing arts film production with an emphasis on 360° experiences.
The session was led and moderated by IMZ Academy Director Peter Maniura (Head of Digital Development at BBC Arts) and invited practitioners and visionaries in music + dance film production to share their expertise and experience with innovative technologies, using real-life productions as examples. Marieke Schroeder (Producer and Director at PARS MEDIA) talked about the initial steps of her production "360° Figaro", while Christopher Hampson (CEO/Artistic Director at Scottish Ballet) and Laura-Jane McRae (Director BBC Arts Digital at BBC Arts Digital) presented their joint production "The Perfect Place - A 360 Ballet", which is the first film of its kind with choreography and narrative created specifically for the medium.
Head of Digital Development at BBC Arts
As IMZ Academy Director, Peter conceives and leads the Academy programmes in collaboration with the IMZ. Over the last years he has launched two new online services for the Arts. 2014 he was the Launch Director of BBC Arts Online, the live and on demand service which aggregates the BBC's Arts coverage across all its services and works extensively with partner organisations in the British arts sector. In 2012 he was the Curator of the new BBC/Arts Council England digital online arts service "The Space" which promotes digital innovation and creativity across the art forms. Prior to this he was Head of Television Classical Music and Performance for the BBC from 1998-2012, and has pursued an extensive international career as a TV director and producer.
Producer and Director at PARS Media
Marieke has contributed to approximately 50 films as a producer or director. Examples include “A Woman and a half – Hildegard Knef”, “Bound”, “Furtwängler’s Love”, “Aida's Brothers & Sisters”, “Bella Figura”, “Country Roads” or “Schumann’s Bar Talks”. Her films have been broadcast in 24 countries and have been presented at festivals in Berlin, Munich, Leipzig, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Ohio and Monte Carlo.
CEO/Artistic Director at Scottish Ballet
Christopher Hampson was appointed CEO/Artistic Director in June 2015. He has created numerous works for companies including The Royal Ballet, English National Ballet, Royal New Zealand Ballet, the National Theatre in Prague, Atlanta Ballet and Scottish Ballet
Director BBC Arts Digital at BBC Arts Digital
Laura-Jane is a director who works across a diverse mix of films ranging from long form observational documentaries, dance films, character led shorts and innovative projects such as “The Perfect Place”. She is currently working on the new series of BBC Young Musician for BBC 4.
- IMZ Academy Editions
- 2019: Social Media is live!
- 2019: The future of multi-camera live coverage of orchestral music
- 2019: The Art of making Music Documentaries
- 2018: Going Live – From the performing arts stage to screens worldwide
- 2018: Re-imagining the orchestra for the Digital Age
- 2018: Brand, Media + Technology – How Emotions Enhance Your Brand
- 2018: Innovative technologies for the arts
- 2017: Re-imagining Opera for the Digital Age
- 2017: Re-imagining the Orchestra for the Digital Age
- 2017: Collaboration, Creativity + Community in the Digital World
- 2016: Dance in the digital world
- 2015: All About Opera Online
- 2014: What’s the Best Way to Engage with your Audiences in a Connected World?
- 2014: Sharpen up your Showreel
- 2013: Multi-Camera Performance Capture Workshop
For more information please contact